Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cinematic Homonyms #1: Cherry Valance

It's time to play everyone's new favorite game: Cinematic Homonyms! I provide you with two characters with the same name and you tell me what you think of them, which one you prefer and how they might relate.

Today's entry (inspired by my showing Red River today): Cherry Valance

#1: Cherry Valance in Red River (D: Howard Hawks, 1948), played by John Ireland

#2: Cherry Valance in The Outisders (1983, D: Francis Ford Coppola), played by Diane Lane:
Personally, I think S.E. Hinton chose wisely in terms of naming her dreamy-eyed Oklahoma redhead Cherry in the novel. As played by Lane, the connection becomes very clear. The fun part is seeing what this does to the other characters, as she only have googly eyes for Dally/Matt Dillon, the same way that the original Cherry only had eyes for Matt/Montgomery Clift, which makes a very appropriate analogy. The RR still above is striking upon multiple viewings, since Ireland really only once looks away from Clift once during this speech. (And I'm not even getting into the gun showing scene. I mean, really.)

Anyway, which one do you prefer? And do you think they'd enjoy going out for sushi together? What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very funny--I'd never really heard of Cherry as a guy's name; for women it seems to be very popular in W Texas and Oklahoma (got an aunt and a cousin named Cherry). So maybe I never recognized the homonym in RR, always thought Jerry Valance or some such thing.

Ireland's performance in RR is stellar.

I recall that both Hawks and Ireland had eyes for Joanne Dru (Tess) and their rivalry on the set led to the (very odd) demise of CV in RR.

I can't think of another example of a movie homonym so I eagerly await more of this fun game! Thanks f

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

Third time's the charm:

Diane Lane is hot.