Wednesday, February 21, 2007

10 years ago...

I think she was reading a magazine, sitting on my bed in the house on Huron Avenue, when Brandon called. "Oh my gosh," he said, "she's there right now? So how does she kiss?"

He probably meant it as a joke, but I looked at her with the phone in my hand and grinned. Only two days earlier, during Party of Five, I had tried to kiss her during a commercial break; she would have none of it, saying that a first kiss shouldn't be held to the arbitrary distractions of a commercial break. This, however, would be different. She looked at me quizzically from behind the magazine. "I don't know," I told Brandon, "but hang on." And I put the phone down for a moment and lunged for her.

"Pretty darn good," I said when I got back on the phone.

"Oh my gosh, you just did it now?! You are so going to get married and have lots of baaaabies."

Later, we decided to arbitrarily pick the day of that kiss as our anniversary, since we quickly fell into a relationship after it. On that day two years later, I proposed. And a year after that (upon finding out that the legal part of getting married in Massachusetts was a bit more complicated than we originally thought), we quasi-eloped and got married by the Mayor of Ann Arbor. Two two-two, made it easy to remember.

Ten years ago today, starting with that kiss.

Happy 8th, beloved.

4 comments:

mandy said...

this made me smile really big. thank you for sharing...

great post!

KC said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

More kisses!

Anonymous said...

Please explain the math.... for those of us who are curious: 10 yrs ago, the kiss. Two years later (that is, 8 years ago) you proposed. One year after that (that is, seven years ago) you married. So, with "happy 8th, beloved" you are celebrating the proposal ??

Mark said...

Honestly, for most of that blog, I thought you were writing to me.