Saturday, May 24, 2008

Smackdowning John Malkovich

It's been ages since I have had the chance to participate in one of Stinkylulu's Supporting Actress Smackdowns -- so when a call went up for 1999 and I realized I had already seen most of the performances involved (I had only not seen one of the films), I jumped at the chance. For the record, the nominees are:
  • Toni Collette in The Sixth Sense
  • Catherine Keener in Being John Malkovich
  • Angelina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted
  • Samantha Morton in Sweet and Lowdown
  • Chloe Sevigny in Boys Don't Cry
A pretty interesting year, one that yielded some fun nominations indeed. As a curio, however, it turns out that I actually kept track of the movies I watched back in 1999 and chose my own list of a top five back then. In apparent order of preference from nine years ago, my choices then for Best Supporting Actress were:
  • Julianne Moore for Magnolia (but also Cookie’s Fortune and An Ideal Husband)
  • Sissy Spacek for The Straight Story
  • Toni Collette for The Sixth Sense
  • Cameron Diaz for Being John Malkovich
  • Nora Dunn for Three Kings
Poor Cameron Diaz will never get another shot like this again, I fear. I do wonder why Spacek wasn't nominated: it's such a great little performance, and Richard Farnsworth got an acting nomination out of it. (Plus, hey, she was playing someone mentally challenged! It's a sure thing! Heck, look what it did for Jolie!) Then again, what was I thinking about Nora Dunn?

Anyway, my views have changed slightly in the ensuing years. Check out the Smackdown to see the winner (who, by the way, I'm totally happy with).

1 comment:

J.J. said...

Nora Dunn! Brilliant!