Saturday, July 01, 2006

Europa Europa

Well, as becks492 sadly points out, despite my whimpers of Allez Bleu!, France indeed did not lose today. In fact, they played darned well and Brazil justly deserved to lose. (This, unlike the Final in '98, which I'm still not over.) On the plus side, I said enough wonderful things about David Beckham under my breath to actually have him taken out with something of an injury and the darling upstart Portuguese made it through. At this point, I have no idea who I should really be rooting for at all. I'm just sad that all the New World teams are out and that, dagnabbit, the Europeans who sniffed "It wouldn't be right if the Cup is played and Europe and not won be a European" will have their wish come true. (I'm still bitter that Argentina, clearly the best team playing up until their goalie injury, is not still in this hunt. Boo.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ended up at a traditional English Pub yesterday afternoon with some friends, and the attitude there was definitely an open air attitude of "Anything but Brazil" and frankly anything European will do. Living in such a heavily hispanic comunity, the whole attitude kinda suprised me. Then again, it was an English pub...

It was the first game of the whole World Cup Series I'd seen [I know, I'm a heathen] and frankly I was just enjoying beer and footie on the High-Def...