Tuesday, January 24, 2006

And to think that I actually dated four people named Alison

I am driving in the car with Angela D, my wife, en route to returning a baby backpack we borrowed from my friend, Angela L. I call on the cell phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Ange, it's Jeff. Listen, we're almost to your place and Xan's asleep in the back, so can you or Peter come downstairs to pick up the backpack?"

"Sure, no problem."

"OK, see you in a few."

Click.

Beat.

"You called her 'Ange.'"

"Yeah."

"I'm Ange."

"Yes."

"I didn't know you called anyone else 'Ange.'"

"Uh..."

The mind races: do I call everyone named Angela "Ange" now because I call my wife "Ange"? Do I call her "Ange" because I originally called Angela L "Ange" since I met her earlier? Uh oh, have I committed a hug personal faux pas? Back-pedal. Back-pedal! Aiiigh!

My wife sits next to me, grinning as I sqiurm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Angela might have been more upset HAD it been a "hug personal faux pas."

typos are fun! >:)

(because n. is the person I talk to most on the phone, I've slipped and called another person [college roommate, my mother] 'babe' or 'baby' on more than one occasion. thank god it wasn't someone more important. "yes, i'm interested in the position, babe."]

Karamale said...

lol, that final "uh" was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Wait a moment - you told me that you only called Angela L "Angela." If you used to call her "Ange," too, well - how could I reasonably object?
The Other Ange

Mark said...

Whore.

I thought you only called ME "Ange"

Anonymous said...

OF COURSE!!! What did you expect sonso!!! if MY man calls any other girl in any other way that sounds more than "sweet" I would wanna throw him out of the car..Bet she didnt scream at you because xan was sleeping. PS: ALWAYS make your girl feel ONE and SPECIAL

Middento said...

OH MY GOSH. I didn't remember this. So it's true!